Join our Team!
Hollaback! is seeking Des Moines-based volunteers to power the revolution! Whether you have a few hours per week, or just a couple a month, we’d love your involvement! Email Becca at firstname.lastname@example.org to contribute your skills to any of the following areas.
Share Your Sass
- Share your story.
- Share your opinions. We need regular bloggers (1x per week or every other week) to share your experiences with street harassment and related subjects from the news and media that are happening on an ongoing basis. Feel free to be creative in how you share your thoughts, be it in a youtube video, a creative poem, or just a quick and simple blog post.
- Share our stuff from our Facebook and Twitter feeds!
Design the Movement
- Design powerful images, memes, and GIFS. For examples, check out our Facebook page and blog series, A Month of HOLLAday GIFs!
- Organize public art projects. These can include chalking, mud stenciling, or performance pieces.
- Create and edit video.
- Design event logos, flyers, and promotional materials!
Raise Some Cash Against Catcalling
- It’s not too hard to put the fun in FUNdraising! In September 2012, we were fortunate to collaborate with the gentlemen of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity at Drake University, who raised $392 for us during their philanthropy week! These awesome dudes sold wristbands, screened a documentary on sexual harassment culture, chalked their campus sidewalks, and hosted Site Director Becca Lee in a keynote address. We forwarded their donation to our “mother site” that keeps us up and running!
- Like what we’re doing and want to make sure we keep at it? Consider fundraising for Hollaback! We are always grateful to our donors. (You can also contribute by becoming a Hollaback! member for only $5/month!)
Take it to the Streets
- Help us conduct a Community Safety Audit. This tool would help us identify and bring attention to violence against women in public spaces throughout the Des Moines metro. In a safety audit,we as a group would walk through a physical environment, evaluate how safe it feels to us, identify ways to make the space safer, and organize to bring about those changes. *To do this effectively, we need a group that reflects the diversity of our community, with regard to ethnicities, physical abilities, sexual identities, ages, income levels, and languages- which is why we need YOU.
- Participate in our research survey, coming in 2013! Check back for details.
- Advocate for legislative reform! Together, we can create change around harassment through legislative advocacy. Help us write letters and make phone calls about Hollaback! to local government representatives.
- Help plan events for International Anti-Street Harassment Week, April 7-13 2013!
Need college credit for an internship? Email Becca at email@example.com for more information about our new internship program*!
*The Hollaback! Des Moines internship has been approved for WS 191 credit at Drake University. The application deadline for Summer 2013 is May 16.